Making the Perfect Mallet
The character uses a baseball bat in Suicide Squad, but when Trinity decided to cosplay as Harley Quinn for Anime Midwest, she wanted a mallet. Not just any mallet, a big honking mallet that a strong man would swing around with glee and wild abandon.
Unfortunately, Trinity weighs slightly more than a strong man could bench press with one hand. Building this prop required materials that would be large enough to make a statement and light enough for a wisp of teenager to comfortably carry for a few hours around a convention floor.
We searched the Internet for help and found http://www.instructables.com/id/HARLEY-QUINN-HAMMER/. We took it from there ourselves.
Building this prop required:
- 1&1/2″ PVC pipe cut to a six-foot length
- Two 1&1/2″ PVC pipe caps
- 1/2″ wooden dowel cut into two six-inch lengths
- 12″ cylinder concrete form cut to four feet
- Box cutter
- Duct tape
- Drill with a 1/2″ bit
- Tape measure
- Paint and brushes
To build the mallet:
- Drill two 1/2″ holes through the PVC pipe, at one end, just far enough apart to fit inside the concrete form;
- Cut two 1&1/2″ holes in the center of concrete form, opposite each other;
- Insert the PVC pipe through the holes in the concrete form;
- Thread the dowels through the PVC. Secure the dowels to the interior of the concrete form with glue and duct tape;
- Cover the ends of concrete form with duct tape;
- Hammer the PVC caps onto the ends of the pipe; and
Building the Mallet, in Pictures!